Pages

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Let's Talk About Skincare: Part Two

Hey guys!

We're back to talk about skincare, and today's installment will be addressing the internal effects of skincare. I know, I know, this is a long one, but there is a cheat sheet at the bottom if you want the facts fast.

Elle Macpherson has eaten an organic, vegetable rich diet for almost 20 years, and looks utterly flawless. She's 51 years old! The proof is in the pudding, people.


Think of it this way: your skin is almost like reading the footnotes to understand what's going on in your body. Not getting enough sleep? Your skin is sure to show it with dark circles and dullness. Eating lots of junk food? You can bet your sweet booty it'll show up on your face. Feeling stressed? Here's a blemish or two so everyone else can tell, too. While there are some factors that are uncontrollable, such as genetics, there is so much you can do to prevent aging, acne, and other skin problems.

What really turned me onto this was reading Kate Somerville's Book, Complexion Perfection. Kate Somerville takes care of Hollywood's most famous skin, and has partnered with dermatologists to create her own line of skin care. In her book, she talks about approaching skincare from every possible angle, but the part that interested me the most was about how what we put into our bodies shows up on our skin.

Have you ever heard the expression, "you are what you eat?" Well, it is more true than you realize. Exercising, drinking lots of water, and eating healthily (think veggies, veggies, and more veggies! Learn to love them!) will make you GLOW more than the most expensive serum or face mask on the market. Even though the products you use are definitely an important step in your routine, diet and supplementation are half the battle.

Spoiler alert: I love food. Pretty much all of it. I love veggies (especially grilled. Yum.), but I also love cheese fries. I love berries that are packed with antioxidants, but I also love donuts. Every day is a struggle for me to choose what's best for my body. Don't get me wrong, I definitely indulge myself from time to time, but it's all about the little battles, like eating cucumber with salad dressing before I get so hungry that I lose all my willpower, or reaching for an apple when I really want ice cream. When I don't do that, and I grab fast food on the way home from work, I notice a difference in how I

Here's a handy little guide to getting that glow from the inside out (using Kate Somerville’s supplement recommendations):



  1. Drink a gallon of water per day.
I know, it sounds like a lot. This article explains how our poor little thirst mechanism in our bodies has been so beaten down by overeating and processed foods, oftentimes when we think we're hungry, we're actually just thirsty. So, drinking more water means that you are less likely to overeat. Furthermore, so many random problems are caused by dehydration: fatigue, high blood pressure, asthma/allergy related issues, skin disorders, high cholesterol, digestive issues, bladder/kidney issues, premature aging, etc. 


If you get bored with plain old water, try cutting up fruit and letting it sit in the water for a few hours! This will give you about 20% of the vitamins and antioxidants that are in the fruit, and tastes so yummy. My personal favorite is strawberry, lemon, and mint!

2. Eat healthy!

Fruits and vegetables, high-quality, lean protein, and high quality, unsaturated fats. Some of the winners in these areas for their complexion-enhancing properties? Almonds, avocados, black beans, blueberries, and flax seeds! Just say no to: refined white sugar/high fructose corn syrup, salt, refined white flour/grain products, trans fatty acids, hydrogenated oils, and alcohol. 

3. Supplementation

Some people will argue with me on this, claiming that if you eat a nutritious diet, you don't need vitamins. For me, I KNOW I don't get enough from my diet, and I just feel better when I supplement! More energy, a clear head, and a sense of well being. Take a good multivitamin (not just a hair/skin/nails supplement), green tea extract (which is better than just drinking tea, because you are actually ingesting the tea leaves), fish oil, flaxseed oil, hyaluronic acid (helps prevent aging), alpha-lipoic acid, grape seed extract, and gingko biloba extract, and probiotics.

Thanks for reading you guys, and be sure to check back for the next installment, where I will be talking about skincare products, and the mysterious Korean Method!

No comments:

Post a Comment